The Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu is a public university in Sibiu, Romania, named after the philosopher, poet, and playwright, Lucian Blaga. Approximately 15,000 students study each year at the Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, enrolled in various forms of higher education, with the valuable contribution of 650 members of the teaching staff.
The Lucian Blaga University owns:
- 9 buildings for the Faculties
- the Rectorat edifice
- the newest buildings of the Medicine Faculty including the biggest and most modern
Universitary Library in the country:
- an ULBS Academic Center
- a Student Culture House
- 22 Research Centers
- 6 hostels for students with 1850 places
- 2 canteens for meal
The key objective of the Lucian Blaga University in Sibiu is to carry out a competitive educational process, meeting the standards of the EU, which grants LBUS graduates international academic and professional recognition. The university promotes unique programmes in the Romanian academic environment, and the high trust degree recommends the LBUS as being a powerful institution, committed to improving the quality of the educational process. Promoting study programmes in international languages, ICT - based teaching methods and implementing the ECTS ensures the strengthening of the educational process.
HIGHER EDUCATION IN SIBIU - A HISTORICAL SURVEY
The long tradition of higher education in Sibiu goes back to the
18th century. The year 1786 marked the beginning of Romanian higher education in Sibiu, with a Theological-Pedagogical School and an Academy of Law, in 1844. The last one was founded by the German Population, which enjoyed at that time a privileged status in
Transylvania. For twenty years the courses were taught in German but the students were not Germans of necessity. After 1865, as a result of the policy promoted by the new Austro-Hungarian authorities, the
teaching of Hungarian language was imposed in schools. Courses were taught in Hungarian until 1887, when the Academy was disbanded in Sibiu.
Higher education in Sibiu witnessed a new beginning in 1940, when the University of Cluj-Napoca was forced to look for a shelter in this area, due to the Vienna Aword, in the wake of which Northern Transylvania went over to Hungary. For four years, the University of Cluj flourished in Sibiu, despite the grim World War Two realities.
A quarter of century later, in 1969, the Faculty of History was founded as a branch of the University of Cluj. In 1971, the Faculty was turned into the Faculty of Philology and History, whose Department of Philology included German, English and Romanian sections. In the same year, the Faculty of Public Administration with a program not found elsewhere in Romania came into existence. The following year the Faculty of Wood Processing was established as a branch of the University of Braşov. Shortly after the 1989 Romanian Revolution, in recognition of Sibiu's certain potential as an academic center, the Ministry decreed on March, 5, 1990, the founding of a University encompassing five Schools: Letters, History and Law, Medicine, Food and Textile-Processing Technology, Engineering, and Sciences. The 12th of May 1995, the University of Sibiu was granted the name of the distinguished Romanian writer and philosopher, Lucian Blaga. The circumstances had been created for our University to become a center of academic excellence and social development.